Sunday, April 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Chip

Wow! Today my brother turned 55! Don't I feel old? Chip and I are only a year apart...yes he is the older one! HA! In the early days, my brother and I were two peas in a pod. Our younger sister Lisa did not arrive until nine years after me and Libby came a year after that. So for the longest time it was just me and my brother, just the two of us. And we stuck together through thick and through thin.

He is also an artist, and like me had worked in a mostly left-brained world. While employed at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland he had felt--just as I do--the square peg trying to hammer himself into that round hole! Finally, having the guts to do something different, he pursued what suits him best...his creative expression.

He has spent his life as a free-lance artist and has illustrated magazines and at least one book. He now custom paints murals in homes, restaurants and businesses all over the Annapolis area and has shown and sold his artwork in galleries there as well. My brother Chip, is one talented guy and his freelancing has afforded him the blessing of spending quality time with his son Jake. I'm guessing he could be considered one of the first "stay at home Dads!" I admire him for having the self-confidence and individuality to choose the path less taken. Happy Birthday Chip!

No comments: