Saturday, November 1, 2008

Getting Ready to Brave the Cold

Soon I'll be working outside...hammering steel and welding my horse sculpture! It's going slowly, because it's a new design and I keep having to think it through. Got to make sure I weld the right part in the right sequence to be able to fabricate it the way I want. Otherwise if you make a mistake in welding metal, it's very hard to tear it back apart. So, I'll sure be glad when this is done. I'm really anxious to start working on a SERIOUS sculpture. That will be next!! Soon!

After my apprenticeship this morning, I'm going to have to run by a thrift store. I need some old sweatshirts and stuff to work outside in. And I don't want to buy new stuff because it will just get holes in it from all the sparks of metal flying all around. I had to really scrape to the bottom of my closet here this morning to find something warm to wear as it's getting colder outside. I don't have a sweatshirt here and I need one. My pajama sweatshirt will have to do! LOL! But it will probably get ruined. The crazy thing is that I have a ton of them back home, but...can't get to them right now. And so goes my frustration of living in limbo. It keeps reminding me that I need to get settled!!!

Gosh, I'm looking forward to metal work today. Last weekend Hugh canceled because he was getting company...and the Saturday before we took that hour off for the jam session with his friend Bear and son Daniel. So...this should be a full three and a half hours of heating, hammering, chopping, grinding and welding steel!!! I'm hoping my sculpture will really start to take shape this morning.

At first, it will be hard getting started because the temperature is rather brisk and we work outside. But once I get into my work...I start to warm up and I become so entranced with what I'm doing that I simply forget the cold. At least I'm hoping that's how it goes this morning. Not sure how it will be when it gets into November!!! Br-r-r-gh-gh-gh!

Oh...and this time I WILL remember to take my camera!! It should be real pretty out there on the West River by now, with all the leaves turning and winter setting in! I imagine we will start seeing the Canada Geese pretty soon. Oh...I love the sound of those "honkers" circling in for a landing. Just thinking of that sound reminds me of our home back on the lake, and sittin' on our screened porch on a Saturday morning drinking coffee. Oh, those were the days!!

No comments: