Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gooood Morning!!!

I'm finishing up my coffee and have been watching a little TV this morning. Did the same thing last night. Yep, you've got it...I stayed home on a Saturday night. I'm pretty sure that's nearly a first for me. But it sure was nice. My friends and family are right, I need to try to slow things down a bit. There's no need to race through life as I have been. It's great to have some "down time." And, I'm going to try to allow myself that simple pleasure once in a while.

Yesterday I made it to metal class in the morning. I worked on the concept for my next sculpture. I started by digging through Hugh's scrap metal pile and found a really neat piece of stainless that will be perfect for the main element in my design.

Then I started constructing my concept in cardboard to get my idea worked out before I touch a tool to the metal. It's a lot better to make mistakes in cardboard first; scrap metal is too precious to waste. I want to be sure I don't ruin this big piece of stainless, because it's perfect for my design.

I got my idea together and Hugh and I looked at from various angles. We bounced around some ideas and I made some subtle changes. The main piece will be a perforated square that I will score diagonally and bend it. Then I'll weld it to the base, standing on it's end...by the point.

I decided it will make a better design to have it leaning slightly, than my original concept of mounting it perpendicular with a right angle to the base. It was interesting to see how that small adjustment in the main element, made a big difference in the design.

There will also be several long blade like pieces of metal, bent slightly and welded to the base metal, each standing upright on end. That will give it an organic quality...which will contrast well with the geometric design of the main piece.

I'm not sure what I'm going for...but it just feels right. It does remind me a bit of a ship's sail and blades of grass. So, who knows, perhaps the title will be Sail and Surf...something like that. I'll just have to wait and see how it evolves.

Once I had the main pieces assembled in cardboard, Hugh said, "Wow, that's gonna be cool!" And, then he commented that he thinks he would like to get back into abstract design too. That's how the two of us work together. The artistic energy between us is special!

Next Saturday, I hope to finally learn how to use the plasma cutter...to square up that large scrap of perforated stainless. Mastering that will add one more technique to my portfolio of skills.

While working on my design, Hugh was using the grinder on his piece. Suddenly, he put it down and came over holding up his finger, "See, this is why I remind you to be careful." The grinder had "bit" him and he was sporting a very deep gouge in his pointer finger. Amazingly, it hadn't started bleeding yet, but it was a bit gruesome to look at.

"Oh, Hugh," I said, "You need to take care of that right away!" I suggested he go in and dowse it with peroxide and bandage it tightly. I know he is taking blood thinners...and I was afraid in a moment it would start spouting like a fountain! He was going to keep on working, but surprisingly he listened to me, "You know, I think you are right." And he set off for the house. In a few minutes, he was back out, all patched up and using the grinder again. But, I'll bet today...he knows EXACTLY where his throbbing finger is!!!

It reminded me once again to continue to be extraordinarily careful when I'm working in the shop. These tools can grab you in a heartbeat if you're careless. For me, so far, so good! I am extremely careful!!!

The rest of today, I plan to get ready for the work week. I've got laundry to do, sheets to wash, errands to run. Later this evening I am meeting a gentleman in Old Town for drinks. That should be a nice way to wrap up the weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: