Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh What a Day...

Sometimes you have to be hit in the head with a challenge...to prompt ya to make the right decision. I had been struggling with whether to keep my cute little car or Kenny's... So, low and behold, when I got back here, the next morning after I got the battery charged, I took my Roadster out for a spin. The fun of driving it, had me thinking about keeping my car and getting rid of his. Well...that was Friday! But, not any more!

Last night when I pulled that little car into the garage, I discovered one of my tires had gone flat!!! I mean completely flat, flat, flat!!! Good Grief! So this morning, Karen and I went out to change the tire. It's been a very long time since I've done that...in fact, probably not since the seventies. But, I figured between the two of us smart chicks...surely we could figure it out. So, I grabbed my owner's manual and we went out to the garage to tackle it.

Well, thankfully Karen and I both have a pretty good sense of humor! Because, I popped the trunk, lifted the mat and...hmmmmm..."Karen, where's the spare?" That's odd, we couldn't find a spare tire anywhere. I even looked underneath the back of it, thinking...well maybe it's up under there some where. Hmmmmm. "Karen, do you supposed it's behind the seat?" I asked. Then the funniest part is Karen noticed the battery in the trunk and she said, "Well, what do you suppose is up front then?" In a minute, we busted out laughing when we realized what a ridiculous question it was!!! Of course the engine is up there!!!

So for a few minutes we muddled around, until we finally checked the manual, and discovered my car does not have a spare!! It has "run flat" tires. Well that's just fine and dandy...unless the tire goes completely flat. Then what are you supposed to do?

I checked in the basement, perhaps Kenny and I had put a spare tire in there. No of course not. No tire to be seen. So...it was a trip to the tire store for us. But they didn't have any tires like the one I needed. And..now for the brutal part. I could order one..but it wouldn't come in until Tuesday and the darn thing will cost me $250!!!! Oh, My God!!! Who knew???

After a little back and forth...I called BMW roadside service, to find out that I'm just 5,000 miles beyond my warranty. Another lesson for me... Well, it's finally "no brainer." Yes, I've ordered a new tire at the $250 a pop! But...this cute little car is history. Time to sell it. I don't need a car in Washington that doesn't have a spare...etc. And I don't need this kind of hassle. It was cute and fun while it lasted. Sometimes decisions are made the hard way. But this certainly has given me clarity. I know what I'm gonna do!!! It's history!!

No comments: