Monday, December 22, 2008

The Good News? I'm Essential...the Bad News? I'm Essential!!!

We had a pipe burst at work today so about 1PM employees in both of our big government buildings were released to go home. During a break from my meeting, the news had made it's way around the halls...and I have to admit...I was gleeful!! Hooray!!! I can go home and finish my shopping, wrap gifts and pack for Puerto Rico!!!

Once the meeting got started again, there was a discussion about it among the VPs I support. Ha! And...I very honestly admitted my glee about getting to go home! Well...they simply smiled back and said, "Oh, no you are not going anywhere...you're essential, we can't do this without you!"

It was not exactly what I wanted to hear. On one hand, it's nice to feel really needed, but on the other hand...it's weird that the entire two buildings were evacuated and there I was stuck in the meeting. And...afterwards, I had to go back to my desk to follow up on a few things because our meeting tomorrow is not cancelled either!! In fact, we've already arranged space in another building just in case ours is still closed tomorrow.

So I had to get "all my ducks in a row" to be ready and raring to go in the morning. I'll report to the building as usual at 7AM, then figure out whether I have to haul myself over a few more blocks to the other meeting place. I'm NOT looking forward to it. It's sure not a good time to be traipsing more than a block or two outside because it's COLD out there!!

At any rate, I stayed in the office tonight just as late as usual and even had to spend some time trying to find a bathroom that was not too disgusting to use. Yes...some other things are also essential!!! And...wow, after a few hours of unflushable toilets we sure had some nasty bathrooms around the building. It's amazing how quickly they go awry when the plumbing doesn't work!!!

I have to admit, it's nice to be back in my little apartment with water that runs and a toilet I can flush!! And so...Ha!!! Now, I have a brand new perspective on something I used to take for granted. I now look upon that one basic, but necessary function...as one of life's simple pleasures!!! LOL!!! Go figure...I may just spend the entire evening in there!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi my new special friend. I have read the postings you have made the past few days and so much of what you write is just what I am feeling inside. When I read what you write I don't feel quite so much alone. Yes, we do need and pray that others will have understanding for us, because this grief does not go away just because time is passing. I understand that "happy face" and the pain that is behind it. We are strong and we will get thru this. We both are so blessed to have so many people around us who love us.

SUNSHINE said...

Hi Debbie, Yes, you are my special friend!!! It's a special society you know...this Widow's World!!! No one is waiting in line to join this club, but once you're in...it's a life membership of understanding that can't be touched by anyone who has not experienced it!!! Love you...best wishes and peace and comfort to you. May you be reminded of the joy of the season...the Christ Child!!!
Love you, Lucy