Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Pleasant Surprise!!

I got home from work tonight and called my Mom and Dad. They had just gotten back this weekend from a trip to Germany and we needed to catch up. We talked for quite a while and when I got off the phone, there was a voice mail from a friend of mine who lives in the building. He had invited me to dinner!! Cool!!

I had just been wondering what I would scrape together to eat this evening! As usual there is very little here in my apartment; the fridge and cabinets are bare. So, it was great to get an impromptu invitation, especially from someone who loves to cook!! I grabbed my bottle of red wine and dashed upstairs.

This guy is even more "domestic" than me. I was greeted by a nice pine wreath hanging on his door...and the inside of his apartment was all decked out with colored lights, a full-sized Christmas Tree, and a background serenade of spirited holiday music. It's a much nice place than mine...much, much nicer!!! It even has a panoramic view of National Airport and Washington DC. You can see the Kennedy Center and the Washington Monument in the distance. And the planes and metro are contantly going to and fro the airport.

He had just finished making a pan of fudge...and I could smell the honey-baked chicken in the oven. Mmmm-mmm!!! Perfect!

We sat down to the table...and he offered grace...a very sweet prayer about blessing the meal and sharing it with a friend. Over dinner, we got all caught up with what's going on in his life...with his kids, his girfriend...and his job. And then I told him all about the latest with mine. I had taken my horse sculpture along...and he thought it was pretty cool; said he REALLY liked it!

We spent the evening commiserating about life and the tough decisions we both have to make pretty quickly. Finally, it was getting late, so I helped him put the food away and dashed back out the door!! Wow! It sure was a nice way to spend a rainy Tuesday evening....

No comments: