Sunday, August 10, 2008

Breakfast at Carla's

What did I tell you? Carla did her magic Saturday morning with eggs benedict, asparagus and fresh tomatoes. Not only that, but I woke up first thing to Carla and Martine handing me a Mimosa: Champagne and orange juice. Then they jumped into bed beside me, each with their own fluted glass in hand. That's how we started our Saturday morning...giggling with Mimosa's in bed, then a breakfast to die for!

A Day on the Bay
After breakfast Martine and I ran off to her boat on the South River in Annapolis. She and Jeff were getting the boat down from the lift...getting it underway...and I was there in the cabin blogging. Isn't life grand?

Saturday was a beautiful day; a perfect one to spend on the water! The bright blue sky was our canopy. There was a cooling breeze and no humidity. Really, what could be more awesome than the Chesapeake Bay? It was beautiful...beyond words. I told Martine, "I wish I could set the colors in my head forever."

It was a spectacular sight! The water came at us in waves of shimmery steel, with a hint of greenish brown and azure...dotted with sparkling white reflections from the sun. And the trees on the horizon were a muted, hazy blue.

We motored right up to Thomas Point lighthouse. What a gem of the sea! Its recent restoration has made it even more beautiful than ever before.

We also went pretty close to the Bay Bridge. It was silhouetted by huge freighters sitting there just waiting to be called on to pick up a load of shipping crates from the Baltimore Harbor. And the sailboats Saturday, were out in full force. Hundreds of billowing sails of white and beige and yellow dotted the skyline. I hope I can always remember the Bay just like that! Every nuance...every color...

Back at the Reunion
Friday night the "meet and greet" was fun. But, I was surprised there were not more people there. I'm afraid that people were turned off by the price. Anyone who showed up Friday night had to pay the full cost of Saturday night's dinner dance to get in. I'll bet the people who couldn't make it Saturday night didn't feel like paying full price to get into a casual, no frills Friday night get together. Too bad, because I think as a result we missed out seeing a lot more people. But at any rate, it was loads of fun; there were still plenty of people to see and talk to. And I was thrilled to see my friend Kathy. She was there all the way from LA.

Sadly, Brad from Tennessee couldn't make it this weekend. I was terribly disappointed. So we will just have to figure out some other way to see each other now that we've reconnected again. You know, there's no time to waste when it comes to life...living...and staying in touch with the people you love.

No comments: