Sunday, August 3, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

We changed our minds about the wine festival today. As much as I love those kind of events, I was feeling like just taking it easy for my birthday. So Lisa suggested instead that she bring dinner and we hang out at my apartment. That turned out to be a perfect idea. Mom and Dad came with them. They all piled into her mini van for the ride here from Leesburg. Libby and Sadie arrived too from Chestertown. And on their way they stopped and picked up Kenny's Mom. Kyle, Jess and Chloe came too.

The apartment was filled to the brim, but it was all the more fun that way. Jazz even enjoyed all the company. He is getting very social with all the visiting we've been doing. His favorite place today was sitting underneath my futon sofa. That way, he could still see everyone and everything that was going on in the room.

Lisa brought stuffed green peppers...one of my favorites!

And we had a big tossed salad...
and of course cake. Lisa, the wisenheimer...put a ton of candles on my cake. I'm sure there was one for every year and it was lit up like blue blazes. Next thing ya know...the smoke alarm started screaming! Noyan jumped up and started fanning the smoke and I quickly blew out the candles. We opened a door until the alarm stopped ringing. They sang happy birthday...and I pretended to blow out the candles for the camera. It was pretty funny.

Chloe brought a Veggie Tails DVD, so part of the time I sat with her back in my bedroom and watched the movie. It was me, Chloe and Mr. Shrek all cuddled up together in the middle of my bed! She is a sweet and funny little girl. Later she drew me some pictures which are now prominently displayed on my refrigerator.

Check out this photo of my nieces. Do they have some beautiful eyes or what?!

We called Dan out in LA and sang happy birthday to him, then we all passed the phone around so he could talk with everyone. He was headed to a barbecue at Ara's house.

We had cake and coffee and sat a bit longer. Then before ya know it my party was over, the place was all tidied up...and everyone hit the road. But it was a good time and hopefully marks the beginning of a much better year for us all. I don't wish to spend one more day in mourning, or sadness, or suffering.

Later this evening I talked on the phone with my brother Chip. He and Colleen had gone kayaking today on the Potomac River with some friends. Chip plans to come see me this week, maybe we can have dinner together.

Randy just called me from Indiana to wish me a happy birthday too. He is doing fine...but I sure miss him. He asked me all about Jazz...and sometimes I think he actually misses his cat more than he misses me!! (smile) I am sure looking forward to Kyle's wedding so I can be with all my boys together again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

I'm glad you had a great birthday party and wish you a happier and more joyful year ahead!! It's good you acted quickly on the cake candles. Otherwise, you could have had pictures of Arlington firefighters sharing your apartment with everyone else. That would have been cool...ah, hot!

Bill

condadelite said...

Hey, Gal! I feel horrible that I didn't know it was your b-day!! I think I might have asked you before about it, but I just didn't know. How wonderful for your family party; sounds so special.

Allen and I are going to Knoxville tomorrow to pick up our goddaughter, Natalie. I wish you were here to meet her; someday, for sure.

Happy Belated B-day, Friend! Love, Conda

SUNSHINE said...

Hi Conda, Enjoy your trip to Knoxville! Yes, I will look forward to meeting Natalie one day!
Lucy

chip said...

Looks like your party was very nice. I am sorry I missed it.

SUNSHINE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SUNSHINE said...

Yes Chip, I'm sorry you missed it too! Cissy