Sunday, August 17, 2008

No Sculpture Today

The cowboy sculpture didn't make it home with me today. In fact, I didn't get to work on it at all. I did finally learn to do some argone welding. But boy I was having a hard time with it. First my face shield was too big...and then I couldn't see anything through it. I kept trying to look through the shield to see what I was welding, but I kept missing the weld joint. I tried again over and over...but I just kept missing it. Couldn't see at all...

Finally I took off the helmet and held it in my left hand to shield my eyes. That was a little better but I was still having difficulty seeing through it for some reason. Then Hugh showed me how to spot weld, using my hand as a shield. Just before I pressed the trigger, I would hold my hand over the welding spot to shield the bright light from my eyes. Of course I was wearing goggles to protect them from any sparks, but you also have to protect your eyes from the bright ultraviolet rays.

It made me a little nervous to just shield my eyes with my hand, but Hugh says he's been using that method for thirty years and he hasn't had any problems. So, I gave it a try...and it was a whole lot easier...I have to admit. I still had to practice over, and over and over. But by the time I left today I was FINALLY starting to get some nice smooth weld joints.

I'll be glad when I can actually feel more at ease with some of the equipment. I used the chop saw again today...and it makes me shudder. It cuts right through steel lickety split...it's a powerful piece of equipment. But, believe me...I am EXTREMELY careful with everything I do. Hugh says I will probably get "bit" once in a while; he says it's inevitable. But not if I can help it!!! I'm going to keep being extremely careful... I happen to really like all my fingers and thumbs...thank you very much!

Next week, when I get there, I'll practice welding a few more times, then FINALLY (I hope) I will actually get to weld my cowboy together. I spent some time today cleaning the horshoes a little more and then I put them back in the bucket of water to soak. They have turned a really cool rusty orange color and I plan to leave them that way. In fact, I will probably spray the entire thing when it's finished, with Krylon. That way it will be a nice shiny rust color. And, I'm already beginning to think about what I might do for an original piece. That's what I'm really looking forward to working on...something of my own design!!

No comments: