Thursday, August 14, 2008

On a Moment's Notice

Just when I was feeling a little low, a little lonely...and sorry for myself. I got a call from a friend who lives in the building and he invited me to dinner. He was cooking. Of course I jumped right up, on a moment's notice, I am always ready to go!! I never have to be asked twice.

I grabbed my already opened bottle of wine, my half-emptied glass, and trekked upstairs to the eleventh floor. This guy has a beautiful view of National Airport and the City. And not only that but he has a fabulous apartment with REAL furniture...not the cheesy stuff, like the futon sofa and the headboardless mattress and boxspring I bought for myself. He even has real artwork all over his walls and his kitchen is well stocked with a toaster oven, blender, olive oil, spices, etc. It's a REAL home!

I sat there on one of his kitchen stools and watched him snap off the ends of the asparagus, cut up the carrots for the salad...and boil the pasta. He even cracked an egg to make the white sauce...and buttered and baked some French bread. How cool is that? And all I had to do is watch. Awesome!

Over dinner we shared war stories. Life has not been easy for him either...and it does help to talk things out with someone who understands. And of course our dinner started with him saying grace. That was the best part of all. He has been through enough tough days in his life to know to lean on God.

I stayed until a little after nine, then hurried home with my "carry out" containers of leftovers. Now I'll have food for tomorrow night too... thanks to the guy upstairs!

No comments: