Saturday, August 2, 2008

Twelve Hour Day

Friday was a long and hectic day. I put in over twelve hours and practically ran through each one. Things were so crazy that my boss even brought me lunch from the cafeteria. He could see that I was busting my behind. By the time I left for home...I was sure glad to get out of there.

On my way to the metro I saw a guy who reminded me of Kenny. He was tall, thin and frail and was walking very slowly. Just like Kenny used to do. He was even pushing his own wheel chair. He was walking slowly behind it and using it to hold himself up. It stopped me in my tracks because it sent me right back in time. I had watched Kenny walk along...just like that...with so much effort...slowly ambling along. It looked just like Kenny and I started to cry...

But even though it made me feel weird and sad and all those conflicting emotions. I couldn't take my eyes off that old fragile soul. In fact, I dodged around the other people on the street so I could keep him in view just a little bit longer. He made his way slowly to the metro elevator, then dissapeared from sight.

I can still see him in my mind walking along from behind. And I can still see Kenny doing the same. Over the many years and watching Kenny struggle as he did...this is what always came to mind, "But for the grace of God go I."

But I don't worry about Kenny now because here's what I know to be true: Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those wo love him. James 1:12

I can see Kenny now running full court...dribbling that basket ball. Jumping and dunking it and laughing with his big dimpled grin. And I'm guessing his curls have returned...a full head of them and they are bouncing as he runs. Just like old times. That's what I know.

No comments: