Thursday, August 7, 2008

Happy Happy Hour!

After work I joined Finn and her roommate Joe at happy hour. We went to the Holiday Inn; it's a few blocks from work. From there I stopped at Pentagon City for a manicure and pedicure. It was totally impromptu, so I was unprepared...no sandals with me. So, when I was done they gave me a pair of those cheesy little disposable flip flops...and I set off through the mall. By then it was nearly 8PM and I had no time to dilley-dalley waiting for my nails to dry.

No doubt, I was quite a sight, tooling through that upscale shopping mall wearing those flimsy flip flops that were about 10 sizes too big. I walked along with my shoes in my right hand and rolled my computer bag along with my left. I kept my eyes on the landscape so I would be prepared to dive behind a counter or a wall if I ran into someone from work. Phew...I made it. No one seemed to care or notice. They were all just rushing to get to their homes. And, in reality I really didn't care either. In fact, I actually delight a bit in doing things to raise a few eyebrows. And, I'm sure people wondered why I was walking along grinning the whole way. I knew I looked pretty ridiculous!

I hopped on the metro, then walked the few blocks to my apartment. I nuked a little food from the fridge, then set about to iron my shirt for the big reunion reception tomorrow night. Boy ironing linen is a pain in the neck and now, I'll have to be ever careful getting that shirt in and out of the car so it won't get wrinkled. I plan on taking my clothes with me and changing at Carla's. That way perhaps the shirt will still be a bit crisp when I get to the big shindig. And here's a pointer...never ever use spray starch on a pair of black capri pants. Next thing ya know, they looked like they were covered with frosting. I'm sure this is something I had learned in my earlier, more domestic days...but by now I had promptly forgotten. I had to grab a damp cloth and wipe off the starch as best I could. Oh well, I doubt that anyone will notice that either.

I am looking forward to seeing about a million people this weekend...no exaggeration! My friend Kathy will be there from LA. She was in my wedding and has become Dan's Mom in LA. She and Bruce spend a lot of time with Danny. They go for bike rides and just hang out together. I'm happy to know he has someone who is family out there so far from home. I am also looking forward to seeing my friend Brad. I haven't seen him in 36 years. Amazing! I can hardly contain my excitement.

Enough of this typing. I've got to pack my bag so I can run home quickly from work tomorrow, grab my stuff, grab Jazzy B, his litter box, food etc. and hit the road. It will take a couple trips back and forth to the basement to get things loaded up and I'll want to hurry so that I am not late for all the fun. Of course, as typical, I will be rushing once again...

No comments: