Monday, August 18, 2008

Yucky Chicken Sandwich

Remind me to NEVER eat in the work cafeteria again! It was about 1:15 PM today and I hadn't had lunch yet, so I ran downstairs and grabbed the very last chicken sandwich out of the bin. I also got some fries and headed back upstairs. When I got to my desk, I took a bite of the sandwich and YUCK! It was hard as shoe leather and it had a strange taste. Now our cafeteria is not known for having the best cooks...so believe it or not, I took another bite...and another one! I know...that's plain stupid. By the third bite...and I'm not a fussy eater...I thought, "I can not eat this awful stuff." Well actually I recall using a few other words, but they are just not fit to print here.

For a moment, I thought about going back to the cafeteria to ask for a refund...and now I know I should have. Instead, I grabbed that sandwich, rolled it back up in the paper and set off for the hallway trash can. I didn't even want to throw that thing in the can in my office!! Yuck! It was disgusting!! So...all I had to eat this afternoon were a few cold french fries.

Several of us from the office left for the hotel about 3PM. We had scheduled practice with the VPs and our COO for their Leadership Summit presentation and we had to be there to make sure everything went well. We also needed to critique their "once through" so they could make any improvements by Thursday.

Shortly into the dry-run, my stomach began to churn. Yep, sure enough you guessed it, my three-bites of chicken sandwich were giving me fits! The woman I was sitting with at the practice had some Pepto Bismo tablets with her. She was also kind enough to go and get me a bottle of water and a glass. I took the tablets, had a few sips of water and made it through the rest of the practice. Then I high-tailed it home.

Before I got off the metro, I had already gotten two voicemail messages from friends who wanted me to join them for dinner at the hotel. You see...all the folks are arriving tonight from all over the country. But I could do nothing but head straight back to my apartment. I didn't even bother to grab anything for dinner on the way because I doubted I would be eating anything at all tonight.

When I got here, I fixed myself a cup of tea and finally after an hour or so was able to eat some crackers and a few almonds. I know...it's a strange combination, but my cupboards are pretty bare. It's moments like these that I realize the downside of living alone. It sure would have been nice to have someone around to baby me!

It's a few hours later and I'm finally beginning to feel a bit better, so I think I've experienced the worst. Thankfully I believe I will be able to make it to the Leadership Summit tomorrow. I would sure hate to miss out on that!!

No comments: