Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tired, tired, tired

I had dinner tonight with a friend and watched a movie. But...I was so tired I kept falling asleep. I'm not very good company right now I'm afraid. I'm just way too tired. Work is kicking my behind. I was working on something today...all day...having formatting problems with it. Finally I had to get someone else to fix it for me this afternoon. She just sent me the file a few hours ago and now I'll be getting in the office bright and early to finish it up for a 9AM meeting. Hopefully I can get it all done. I will be playing beat the clock once again.

I've got other meetings tomrrow spread through out the day...the last one is at 3PM. The thought of a meeting so late in the day on a Friday makes me crazy. Last Friday I didn't get home until well after seven. I hope I don't repeat that tomorrow.

Right now, sitting on a beach somewhere with a good book sounds like a dream. That, or sleeping in on a Saturday morning...without Jazz patting me on the face to wake me up. That sounds good too. But...I don't think I will be enjoying either of those any time soon.

Today, I said goodbye to my friend Dennis. He is the guy who connected me with Hugh Cassidy, the metal sculptor. Dennis is retiring and moving to Mississippi. In the short time I've come to know him...well he is one awesome human being! The best of all kind. As it turns out, he had volunteered for years as a bereavement counselor with Hospice of the Chesapeake. That profession suits him very well. I'll bet he has been a great help to a lot of people.

And here's another interesting connection. I had called Hospice of the Chesapeake last year, the day before Kenny died. My friend Monica gave me the phone number of one of the volunteers. Although we had decided to keep Kenny in the hospital, I was at a loss for knowing what to do and how to handle the situation. You see hospitals are in the business of keeping people alive...and when it comes to the business of dying they are not nearly as well versed.

Under the circumstances, the woman from the hospice was a real blessing. She talked with me over the phone and gave me some advice that made a world of difference for handling Kenny's last days. For example, she told me that even the moments when Kenny appeared to be unconcious, he could still hear everything we were saying. And so, Lisa and I continued to talk with him. I told him stories about the things I would do to keep myself busy this year, like working in the yard and planting pretty flowers. I tried to think of anything I could to bring him some peace so he would know I was going to be OK.

I will be forever greatful to Hospice of the Chesapeake, the volunteer's advice and the comforting work they do. I've added their website to my list of favorites. I may even join their widows support group some time soon.

Now everything comes full circle. Dennis has shared my blog with his friends at the hospice and they may use it for their support groups. That would bring such purpose to my writings. I had set out to help others with my experiences...and I'm amazed at how events and connections weave people together.

In fact, consider how I got to know Hugh...through Dennis. It was only a few weeks ago that Dennis connected the two of us together. If the timing of my arrival for this assignment or Dennis's retirement had shifted by just two weeks, the connection would never have happened. A coincidence? Of course not! God is sure good and life is sweet! Dennis...safe journey my friend! Please keep in touch.

No comments: