Thursday, May 8, 2008

Happy, Happy Anniversary

Thirty-two years ago today, two kids got married. Kenny had just turned twenty-one and I was a few months shy of that. It was a happy wedding; modest by today's standards. Knights of Columbus Hall, no limo, buffet meal...fairly frugal...but FUN! For all who attended--it was a day of celebration--it was definitely a day to remember.

We had a live band...called the Nightlife. Can you believe I still remember that? They played a good mix of current rock, oldies...and real...REAL oldies!!!! Like Frank Sinatra etc. In fact, when Kenny and I auditioned the band...we made sure they could play a good ole polka for my Mom and Dad! And...yes...they...did!! I can still see my Dad at that wedding, kicking up his heels and spinning my Mom around on that dance floor! Oh yes, and I can also remember Dad gallantly waltzing me around that floor as well! He was one proud Poppa! And all I could think of is, "Hang on, smile broadly, and try not to stumble!"

Captured too in our wedding photos is the moment when Dad was over there in the corner of the dance hall, giving Kenny some "fatherly" advice. Who knows what he was telling him. But it didn't really matter...I knew that Dad was nuts about Kenny from the start and I'm sure that's what he conveyed in that solemn discussion. My guess...it was something like, "Kenny if you two ever need anything, you know we are always here for you!" That's just my guess. And well, yes that would be a promise that held true over the many years! My Mom was nuts about Kenny too!! He was her second son, for sure. No doubt about that!

Wow, it's hard to imagine where all the years have gone. It feels like only yesterday... The best thing I can take from this bittersweet memory is that my dear Kenny kept his wedding vows, always...throughout all those years. He loved and adored me in the beginning...and he loved and adored me to the very end. Now really, how lucky is that?!!

1 comment:

coeur.d'un.enfant said...

It's inspiring to know that there are marriages with beautiful and devoted bonds out there. I´m happy that the two of you had found each other.