Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Kindred Spirit

The other day, I met a woman at work who lost her husband over a year ago. I had passed by her at work many times before, but had no idea that she was a widow too. It just shows you that you never know what someone is going through, you never really know what's behind that personae displayed for the outer world to see.

We talked for a few minutes and I shared my blog with her. The next day she sent me a very nice e-mail. As I read her touching message I was struck by how much her husband and their situation had been like Kenny's and mine. I now have a kindred spirit at work, who knows too well what I am feeling. These are the encouraging words of my newest widowed friend--

Thanks, I did enjoy the story. I remember when my Husband found out he had Huntington's, I thought why him? He is a people person, always putting other people's needs before his. He is a wonderful Husband and Father. An all around family man that was very close with everyone in his family. Parents, sisters, brothers, aunts uncles and cousins. Everyone liked Dale. He loved his job and was a dedicated soldier for 23 years, serving as the Assistant to the Sergeant Major of the Army, who is the highest ranking Enlisted Soldier in the Army. We did everything together and our children were our life. How could this happen?

Dale was always a very positive person and lived each day as if it was the most special to him. Instead of thinking about his illness we began to focus on how lucky we were to have found each other and to have had 40 wonderful years together. We knew that many people never find that kind of happiness. How wonderful our children were and how lucky we were to have them. To be able to show them the world.

The last two years Dale was not able to leave the house and I could see a change, he had lost that spark in his eyes, but he never gave up. I know he is much better off now and maybe the reason why so many good people die young is because they have a bigger reward waiting for them and it is their time to receive it. I loved this wonderful man for 40 years, he was my Husband, my Lover and my Best Friend.

He will always be a very special part of me and always in my heart, but he will not be back and I know he would want me to move on and enjoy life to the fullest. That is what I would have wanted for him, if the situation had been reversed. He still knows that I love him completely, but now it is time for a new chapter in my life and I must move on without him. I will treasure each day and live life to the fullest and one day, I know we will see each other again.

No comments: