Thursday, September 11, 2008

Class is over...

It was a great week here. We got our certificates today and the University congratulated us with Champagne and a small buffet. That was a nice touch! The sessions this week were superb, especially today and yesterday in conflict negotiation. This young guy, our class instructor, is often called upon to facilitate negotiations in the war-torn middle east. He started out doing the same kind of work in maximum security prisons. What a place to hone your skills!! He said, "Prisoners have their own unique way of communicating!" And...guess what? He really knows his stuff!! It's cool to see that such a young guy has mastered such valuable life-skills.

Today Sylvia and I said our goodbyes to our classmates and dragged our bodies back to the hotel. We plan to take it pretty easy tonight, but we do know they will have those memorial lights at Ground Zero this evening. Apparently we will be able to see them from anywhere in the City, so I am glad I will be here to pay my respects. I also plan on capturing it for my family by taking a few photos.

Our meeting this morning started with a moment of silence in remembrance of 9/11. It was a somber moment for all of us. Most of the people in the room could reflect on their part of the situation on that dreadful day. In fact, one guy had actually been on duty at Cleveland Center; Flight 93 was in that airspace when the plane was overtaken by the terrorists. So those controllers were "hands on" throughout the high jacking and heard the flight commotion, the voices, the struggle.It was horrible for them; they felt so helpless watching it and hearing it unfold, with nothing they could possibly do except divert other flights...keeping them safely out of the plane's path.

I was at Headquarters that day and it even brings back some terrifying moments for me as well. Like trying to get out of the City while knowing a third plane was inbound. All I could think of was getting home to protect Kenny and my boys. I also knew that I could not risk being lost in that unfolding tragedy...because my family still needed me...they were all so dependent on me then. I knew the boys would lose their father some day...I needed to be there to help them through it. So they were all my priority on September 11Th. Once I knew they were safe and DC was relatively safe too, then I became a part of the tactical response team. I headed back into that City and spent the weekend at work and many evenings there as well.

I'm guessing, the remainder of this evening will be filled mostly with pensive moments and reflection.

No comments: