Thursday, September 18, 2008

On My Way Home

Well I'm just about ready to go. I'm all packed; hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. It will be a busy three days there. I have so much to do. Dan needs me to find some stuff for him, Randy needs me to photograph his pottery and I've got a few things of my own to take care of. Plus, I have friends to see there. Talk about being torn. It is really hard to love two places so much!!

On my way to my apprenticeship last night I stopped at the Greene Turtle for a bite to eat. While there I ran into a guy...turns out, he's widowed too. We were just casually chatting for a while...then he told me he lost his wife in February. I stopped dead in my tracks. Didn't know what to say. For a minute or so, I said nothing...just dropped my jaw and stared. Then I told him about Kenny and well we both went from happily chatting to talking in a somber, slow-paced, mellow way. And it happened in an instant. I said, "It's six months for you, I'll bet it's hitting you really hard about now." He looked like he was choking back tears and just shook his head, "Yes." I know...I get it. Boy it's hard.

We both recovered pretty quickly, then started speed talking--mostly about other things. I told him about my metal work. He said he has done pottery and said he would send me some pictures. Yes, I now have another friend in my "Widowed" club. It's not a savored society.

No comments: