Monday, September 8, 2008

On My Way to NY

I'm here at National Airport just waiting for my flight to New York. I am taking a course this week at Columbia University and I can't wait to be back in the Big Apple again. I've fallen in love with New York City. I finally understand why people love it so. It's beautiful, busy and bustling with people. A nice change for me. Years ago I didn't think much of New York, but that' s because Kenny and I had visited there under some very trying circumstances. He was very ill and it was the dead of winter. Also we didn't have a penny to our name and New York City can be very depressing under those conditions.

We had been invited as guests on the Live with Regis and Kathie Lee show to talk about organ donation. Ken was waiting for his first liver transplant. We were only in the City for two days total, but the second day we had to check out of our hotel and had several hours to kill before we could leave for the airport. We walked around the streets of NY...freezing...and just looking for a place to sit and stay warm. We also had to find something we could afford to eat. That was an even bigger challenge.

Kenny and I just shuffled along the windy streets and we would constantly duck into a store or office building just to warm up or take a break. Ken was so ill that he was literally exhausted, so it was an extremely tough situation. We were both so happy when we finally boarded that plane to go home. I'm pretty sure we told the entire world we would never step foot in NY again!

So, it's interesting now to see the city under completely different circumstances. Today I can afford to eat where I want, and I get to stay in a nice hotel. Also the weather is awesome this time of year. This week I'm staying at Times Square so that should be a whole new experience for me. It's a little busier there than where I stayed before. I'm meeting some colleagues from Texas at the airport so I won't have to worry about catching a taxi myself to the hotel. And, these folks are great fun. So I'm sure it will be an awesome week!!

No comments: