Saturday, September 20, 2008

When it Rains it Pours...literally!!!!

Today things were chugging along just fine. By mid morning, I decided to figure out what to do about getting the car started. I remembered seeing a roadside assistance sticker in the trunk of my car. But I wasn't sure I had that service since it was a pre-owned reconditioned vehicle. I figured it was worth a simple phone call to find out. Well low and behold, they said they would send a mechanic out within the hour. No charge! How cool is that! Problem solved!!!

While I was waiting for the guy to arrive, my neighbor Jen stopped by. We were busy catching up on things, when suddenly she jumped up from the sofa and looked up at the ceiling. "Hey I just got dripped on." We looked up and the ceiling was wet...a whole section about two yards long, right at the drywall joint was leaking. All along the tape line...water was dripping from the ceiling. Instantly, I thought, "Dag Kenny's not here to repair that drywall! No one will be able to fix it as good as Kenny."

Jen and I both ran upstairs. The whole way up I was muttering to myself, "Did I leave the sink or tub running? Did I start the washer...and it's leaking? What's going on???" But, nothing...Jen and I found nothing upstairs to explain the leak.

We both ran back downstairs, she called her husband Jon and he ran over from next door. We moved my green sofa out of the way and I ran to find some buckets...anything to catch the water. Upstairs again...downstairs...finally I found a bucket sitting on the basement stairs and I also grabbed a big plastic bin. I put them both under the leak to catch the drips. I moved my rug out of the way too. Oh Good grief!! Just when I thought things were going well.

About twenty minutes earlier I had taken a shower upstairs. It had to be that...leaking somehow. I looked up the phone number of the plumber who had been here about a year ago and fixed my other leak. That time, several walls had to be cut out and repaired as well as some of the hardwood floorboards. They had to be replaced, sanded, stained and finished. It was a huge mess in the house for several weeks. Oh Good Grief!!

The plumber told me he no longer works for the builder (hm-m-m, I wonder why??), but he gave me advice about what might be causing the leak. And he told me to call the builder, because he said it's still under warranty. While I was talking with him, Jen ran over to the sales office for me. They called their plumber who told us to turn off the toilet and not use the shower...but they won't be here until Monday. That's the day I leave to go back home. Thankfully, Jen said she would work with them to get it fixed for me. I even thought about staying a few more days...but I left Jazz at home so I really can't do it. Also, it's so close to Kyle and Jessica's wedding, I need to get home!!

Oh Good Grief!!! Just when I think I've got one problem solved...another one pops up. Maybe this is another sign that points me in the direction of an apartment or condominium. Could it be that I just don't need this hassle anymore? Hm-m-m, not sure if this is the kind of sign I prayed for, but I'm cataloguing it in my brain for future consideration. But not today...it's not a decision I need to make today.

All in all, I'm wondering about these continuous challenges I face. Perhaps this is just one more to be sure I've mastered "perseverence." To remind me to keep things in perspective...to brush off the things that aren't serious...to keep in mind it's just a house...and this is not a life or death situation. This place is still under warranty and besides I have homeowner's insurance. But it sure is a pain. A major, major pain. And as usual...I sure miss my Kenny. Oh...Bad...Grief!!! Bad, Bad Grief!

No comments: