Monday, September 8, 2008

New York, New York!

It was a whirlwind day! I met up with Jeff, Jeff and Sylvia at the airport. Yes, that's right TWO Jeff's!! How funny is that? We took a taxi to the hotel, got checked in and headed out at 3PM for a late lunch. None of us had eaten and by then Sylvia's friend Antoinette had joined us too.

We ended up at an Asian restaurant and had a combination of several platters, plus sushi. It was a beautiful place with cool lanterns dimley lit throughout the restaurant. After lunch we split up. Sylvia and Antoinette were insistent on buying purses in China Town...which is just not my cup of tea. So, I set out with the two Jeffs. We could see the Empire State Building from our hotel and I suggested we go there to see it up close and view this fantastic city from the observation deck.

I remember Chip and I talking about the Empire State building when we were just little kids and I've always wanted to see it. So, I was happy that I was able to talk the guys into going. We walked, and walked and walked. What seemed to be just a few blocks from the hotel turned out to be more like ten. But it was well worth it. By evening the crowds were not too bad. And it was a clear night so we could see the entire City-- the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Chrysler Building, Trump Tower, and the United Nations to name just a few...

By dusk we headed back to the hotel and I'm guessing we walked at least twenty blocks all told. My feet are killing me! I forgot that it's always a good idea to bring several pair of shoes for big city walking. My poor feet. I only have two pairs with me and neither are good for long distances. What was I thinking??!!

OK, true confession...the highlight of my evening was a Kodak Moment with a couple young guys from the FDNY. Yes, they were good looking...but that was overshadowed by just knowing their strength and courage. These two guys will charge into a flaming building without a bit of hesitation to save people's lives.

This evening we joined back up with Sylvia and Antoinette and went for pizza and a beer. There was a little place around the corner that we had passed by on our way home...and the smell was heavenly. So we hunted for it this evening...and VOILA, after a bit of a search, we finally found it!! We got pizza, calzones and beer and wine and were so lost in conversation that we closed the joint. It was well after eleven when we headed back to the hotel.

And now I am sitting here waiting for building maintenance to arrive. There is no hot water in my shower. I've tried the hot setting, I've tried the cold setting, but with no luck. And I've also let the water run for at least twenty minutes in each direction. I'm pretty sure I will NOT want to take a cold shower at 6AM. But I hope they arrive soon, because I sure am tired!!!

No comments: