Thursday, September 4, 2008

Relationships

Wow! As I get older I continue to learn so much about relationships. And...here's what I know...they are a lot of work!! But, if they are worth the effort...well...they are worth the effort.

Funny! It's a whole lot easier NOT to care and NOT to take the time to work things out. But, frankly I do know that human nature is filled with miscommunication, misperception and fragile egos. And so in knowing that...I also know...relationships are ALWAYS worth the effort!!

That's why Kenny and I were able to stay married for 31 years. Not to say that it was always a blissful marriage and there were surely a lot of things I would do differently if given the chance. But, we loved each other and the relationship was worth every minute of the effort.

I remember in the early days I would insist on talking things out and he would just want to turn out the lights and go to sleep. But...I wouldn't let him!! I would say "Kenny, you have to talk with me!" And he would reluctantly oblige. Years later he confessed that he was glad that I pressed forward.

I believe it's the same with every connection...it's worth the effort, it's worth trying to understand someone else's perspective. Because after all, life is ONLY about relationships. It's only about people...nothing more. Yet, even I...at times grow weary of the effort it takes.

So where am I going with this? Forgiveness and understanding and courage...are the most important attributes of humankind. It's what gets people through the most difficult of life's circumstances. And in surviving the hard, hard challenges, we all become better people. We become stronger. We become more human and more able to give to others. After all, isn't that what life is all about?

No comments: