Monday, July 7, 2008

Amazing Grace

Things are going so well right now...I'm almost afraid to say it for fear I will jinx myself. I don't even know where to start to explain...

A few days ago I was in my office and heard some familiar music from the room next door. I walked over and said, "Hey, you like Eva Cassidy?" My new co-worker Dennis looked shocked and said "Yeah, I play music with her father, Hugh."

Eva is a girl who grew up in Bowie, just like me, but she died a few years ago from a melanoma...a deadly form of skin cancer. People have now discovered her amazingly, beautiful voice. I told Dennis, "I have all her CD's." They continue to digitize her old recordings and release new CD's every so often. A new one is just about ready to hit the stores.

Dennis met Eva's father where they both play music at a church near Annapolis and he told me Hugh is an amazing musician...just like Eva. I suspect, Dennis is too. He explained that Hugh is also an artist...a metal sculptor. "You are kidding me!" I said, "That's what I've been wanting to get into. Planned on doing it in Georgia, but now thought about it here."

This morning Dennis came in and handed me Hugh's phone number. He said this weekend, he had told him about me and Hugh said for me to give him a call. Ironically, Hugh told Dennis he had just been thinking that he needs to pass on what he has learned about metal sculpting to someone else.

I started to cry...I just can't believe the incredible experiences and opportunities that keep falling into my lap these days. I just can't believe it!! I'm going to give him a call. Perhaps I will be his new apprentice.

Today was another day-long meeting of the executive team that I support. I got to know a contractor they had called in to help facilitate their meetings. At first, I was a little concerned that she and I would be like oil and water, because much like me, she has a strong personality. Quite surprisingly...by day's end...we had become fast friends.

As I walked out of the building about 5:30 this evening...I found myself smiling about how the day had wrapped up. No surprise...there on the corner was a street band...and they were playing Amazing Grace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

I believe there are few true concidences in life. Hence, this 'chance encounter' is not really chance. With your diverse artistic talent, you will undoubtedly be successful in whatever venue(s) you choose. Good luck!

SUNSHINE said...

Thank You!