Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rhonda is Coming!

Oh My Gosh! I just got off the phone with Rhonda and she will be here tomorrow night. She has a conference this week near the White House and she is joining Lisa, Priscilla and I for dinner! Oh My Gosh! I am so excited to not have to face this date alone. Not a coincidence...right? It will be one year tomorrow since Kenny died.

I spent the afternoon straightening my apartment, doing laundry, changing my sheets, doing dishes and hanging pictures. Expecting company is quite motivating!! I even hung my big "stuffed animal" lion's head on my living room wall.

It's a bizarre place...my little apartment. Now the lion stares at me when I'm paying my bills. Mr. Shrek is sitting in the living room too and I just bought some zebra print covers for my bistro chairs. And yesterday Carla gave me a cool brown and black zebra print rug. It's perfect for my bathroom. The colors blend nicely with the brown and blue towels and shower curtain I bought last weekend.

I suppose I'm getting a little ecentric in my old age. But, my apartment is funky and fun...just the way I like it! I finally got my box of photos from Priscilla and started setting them around too. I've got the one of Kenny with Chloe giving him goo-goo eyes. It's one of my favorites. It's on top of my fridge so I can see it from the kitchen and the living room and it makes me smile.

I got a very sweet voicemail today from new friend Leslie...she's a member of my "widows club." At least that's what we jokingly call it. It's a special society and not everyone can join...thankfully. For once it's a club that people are not standing in line to be admitted.

Leslie wished me a good day tomorrow and said she is proud of me. She knows too well how hard this is. She also told me to celebrate the day...not to make it mournful. I have to admit, she has a point. I am so blessed to have been married to a man who loved me with ALL of his heart! In fact, he absolutely adored me. How lucky is that?

Tomorrow night, Rhonda, Priscilla, Lisa and I will raise a toast to Kenny. We will also think about the niece of my highschool friend Mary. It will be the one year anniversary of her kidney and pancreas transplant. Can you believe she received the gift of life at Hopkins the same day the angels welcomed Kenny home? Ken would be pleased that we can celebrate her new life...a second chance at living. Just as Kenny was so blessed ...not just once, but three times.

No comments: