Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Grandma Green

I just got off the phone with my Grandmother. She is 94 years old and lives in asissted living in Pennsylvania. She said she was not doing so well today. She fell this weekend, has a big knot on her head and sore ribs...likely they are broken. I had no idea.

I called because she had just simply popped into my mind and I decided I needed to talk with her. Ater telling me how she fell and all the circumstances she said, "Enough about me Cissy, how are you doing?" And I replied, "Well, to borrow your expression, Grandma, I am happy as a clam!"

Pretty soon she forgot all about her sore ribs and was lost in my update. I told her all about my little apartment and how I love it here. I told her how everything is compact and convenient. I said, "This morning I took my trash a few doors down and dropped it into a chute never to be seen again!! Now that's pretty cool!" I explained that when I get up in the morning, my bathroom is a few steps from my bedroom; the kitchen is right across from that. I could tell Grandma was pleased that everything is going so well. She said, "Cissy, don't you remember what I told you?" That everything would be looking up you some day?" I said, "Yep, just as you predicted things are going very well for me now Grandma."

As for my apartment, I pop on the radio first thing each morning, get my coffee going and jump in the shower. There's a place for everything...and everything is in its place!! I like this "minimalist" living. In fact, my sister insists that I get cable so I can watch T.V. but I'm not convinced. I'm not a TV-a-holic. And I've found that with my laptop and air card I can get news on streaming video, HGTV tips and just about anything else I want. I'm going to take my time before I decide about spending money on cable. Besides, without T.V. I will be prompted to keep in touch with people more...read more books and get more exercise. At least that's what I'm guessing! Who knows maybe I'll even begin to write some "old fashioned" letters once in a while. Now wouldn't that be a good thing?

My conversaton with my Grandmother ended by me saying, "Grandma, just take it easy, continue to rest until you are feeling better. " She replied, "Oh Cissy, no need to worry about me. I'm going to live another fifty years!" And you know? I think she's probably right!

No comments: