Monday, July 14, 2008

More and More Life Travelers...

Over the weekend I got a message from another old high school friend. I had signed up on my alumni site a few months ago and steadily people have been contacting me. This guy Brad is someone I adored in High School. He is just a decent all around guy. And I haven't seen him since I graduated. But low and behold I popped open my e-mail and there was a message from this long lost friend. Sadly he explained that he lost his daughter Erin, last year in a boating accident. He said he and his wife have had a tough year too. That's what I mean by "life travelers." I keep meeting people who have been touched in some way by some tragic or challenging event. We all learn from these experiences and if we survive them, as strangely as it sounds, we are forever changed in a positive way. We are never the same...and will never take life for granted again. Brad said he is coming to the reunion in August and I can't wait to see him!! I've looked for him all these years...

Today work started a bit rocky. Just ordinary job stuff; computer problems, meeting issues... the typical work junk that makes ya feel a little funky. I worked on keeping it in perspective...and finally POOF! The clouds were chased away by the message I got from another old high school friend. This one from Mary, said she would always remember me for the year I helped her try out for Pom-poms. And now I recall working and working with her...correcting her every step, every day, until try-outs. Yes, she made it and was one of the best on the squad!!I can still see her marching perfectly tall, high stepping it, with her head held high. The cool thing is that after all these years she still remembers that I helped her...even though I had long forgotten.

Mary went on to explain that she and I would always be connected by another chance experience. She said her niece Julie got a lifesaving kidney/pancreas transplant last year...at Hopkins...on the same day that Kenny died. She found out later about Kenny and couldn't believe we were there at Hopkins at the very same time...one family mourning the loss of life...one celebrating life anew. The circle of life... I told her it would comfort me on July 28th, to say a prayer in celebration of Julie's one year anniversary. I know Ken would be pleased.

I also ran into another "life traveler" today. A friend who lost her son Ryan years ago in a swimming accident. She and I have felt this very strong bond through our similar, but different experiences. And we literally fell into each others arms outside of Starbucks. She lives about 30 minutes away and we've promised to get together soon over dinner and share our hearts. I've known Kelly since 1991. She is smart and absolutely beautiful and kind. She sent me one of the nicest notes ever when Kenny died. I will cherish it forever!

Life travelers...that's what we are. We feel deeper...we laugh harder...we love stronger...and we lean on each other to get us through.

No comments: