Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Great Evening

I just got back to my hotel and Jazz really missed me! I had been invited to Gene and Priscilla's for dinner and Pat and Ed joined us from the Eastern Shore (Rehobeth). It was great company and a great dinner...

Crazy enough, I got a little lost on the way home driving through DC. Not sure why...I've driven through the City a million times before. I must not have been paying attention. All of a sudden I realized I had no idea where I was!

"Keep driving a little further and something will look familiar," I thought. And that's exactly what I did. Sure enough, I saw a 295 sign...took it, and ended up on the Douglass Bridge, driving North on South Capitol Street...right past the new Nationals Stadium. "

There in front of me, all lit up against the evening sky was that beautiful Capitol Dome. What a magnificent sight!!
It's the same route I used to take with my carpool each day, passing the old concrete plant on the right and the seedy strip clubs a bit further up. The entire area is now completely transformed. There are new buildings and restaurants all along the way. And the best part? Happy families safely walk the streets where drug traffickers and hookers used to hang out! Years ago, we would shudder to see unknowing tourists on foot in that neighborhood. They had no idea the danger that surrounded them.

From there I got back to the hotel just fine. Piece of cake! And it was good to get in here and lock the door behind me. This is one of my last nights in this location. If all goes as planned I will be in my little apartment in a couple of days. It will be good to get back to some semblance of home and normalcy. I am even looking forward to cozying up the place and making it my own...

No comments: